Wasatch 100

Wasatch 100

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

2010 Vermont 100 Race Report

The Vermont 100 is a major east coast 100 miler in the hills of Vermont. The course is 70% rolling hard gravel road between farms and wooded areas. 25% was jeep/single track and 5% pavement. The race is a triple clover format with 30manned and unmanned aid stations. Only one station Camp 10 Bear is repeated at miles 47/70 with a mandatory medical checks. Also, there is a an optional 100k race that my girl friend Kelly joined and to make the event interesting there is a corresponding horse race that shares the same course.

Since I made the lottery to run the Western States 100 (three weeks earlier), I made the decision to pursue the Grand Slam of Ultrarunning and this was to be the second of four 100 mile races this summer (Leadville and Wasatche are the others).

Friday morning we drove to Vermont after arriving very late to Boston on Thursday. We enjoyed the race briefing at 3:45 followed by a pasta dinner at 5:30 pm. Finally, after checking into our hotel I went to sleep about 9pm.

The next morning we woke up at 2am and the race began at 4am with clear skies and temperatures in the 70s.

(Check in day - drop bags and map)

(My morning running partner and Slammer Harris Goodman)

(Beginning of the Race Video and Pictures with a Slammer)

(Bear Video and Picture)

(Photos of the Taftsville Covered Bridge)

(View of the Ottauquechee River)
(Countryside near Woodstock)
(Old barn)

(The old Pomfret town hall building)

(near the far north section mile 23)

(Mile 26 in the woods)

(Old water barrel for horses and hot runners)

(Scenic View from the high point)

(High point video - running downhill mile 28)

(Super Slammer Ernest Stolen of Alaska)

(Steep Climb mile 31)
My first drop bag was at the Stage Road aid station at mile 30. I replenished my Roctanes,
drank some recovery drink, and ate some solid food. At this point the heat was already starting to slow me down. Although I was drinking every eight minutes but my legs were feeling it. At the same time I had no blisters or problems with my toes.

(Old rock fences)

(Country Side at Mile 46)

(Mile 45 running in the heat)

I made it to Camp 10 Bear (mile 47) at about 3:30 pm 11 hours into the race. When I weighed I had only lost 2 pounds. Once again, I repacked supplies and I ate some solid food despite some stomach issues.

(Half Way 4:32pm)

(Half way video 12.5 hours in the race)

(Mile 60 video 16:49 at 8:49pm)
After the half way point, it took four hours to go 10 miles to mile 60. It was still very hot and I quit sweating which can be a bad sign. My main issue was with my sore legs. I felt like the Tin Man in a rain storm because of the stiffness and fatigue.

(This is it! video Mile 68 18:40 into the race)
Mile 60 to 68 took 1:50 and I had 2 miles before returning to Camp 10 Bear. I took an additional hour to do the remaining 2 miles to reach 10 Bear. I had good spirits and I was thinking clearly. When it came to the math I believe there was no way I was going to finish the race and make the 30 hour cutoff. I also knew I had been running on easier roads but the next 30 miles were to be the most challenging.
Vermont may have beat me this time but I will be back and in time I will also complete the the Grand Slam. Now my goal is finish the Wasatch 100, I just need to make a decision to run or skip the Leadville 100 which I have completed in 2007 and 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment